One of my favorite recipes in the world is the one for my Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Cookies. The recipe uses whole wheat flour, “wonder flour”, and oatmeal. It sounds like it would probably taste awful with all that whole grain, but it’s scrumptious. And it’s packed with whole grains nutrition, so it’s a great way to sneak in some extra fiber and vitamins in your family’s diet.
One of the ingredients is called “Wonder Flour“. This is a whole grain flour that can be substituted easily for white flour in any recipe. You just need to add an extra 1/4 cup for every cup of white flour called for in your recipes. It’s not my invention – I got the recipe from Chef Brad who is an expert in whole grain cooking. You do need a very high powered blender or a grain mill to make it – but it’s so worth it. Give it a try!
Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup of butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup wonder flour or white flour
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup chocolate chips (or more to taste)
- Pre-heat over to 375 degrees Farenheit
- Blend softened butter, brown sugar, and white sugar with a mixer until thoroughly combined and fluffy
- Add eggs and blend thoroughly
- Add vanilla, salt, and baking soda and blend thoroughly
- Add whole wheat flour, wonder flour, and oatmeal and slowly combine
- Add chocolate chips and stir until just combined
- Drop by tablespoons or small scoop onto parchment lined baking pan
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until just done
- Cool on rack and enjoy!